First up is lecture demo on mastering the basics of machine embroidery. Next is a hands-on in-the-hoop embroidery project (Supply list will include FREE designs for this class).
We would highly recommend this course as a pre-requisite to our NEW Kimberbell embroidery event if you are not confident with embroidery basics.
Seating is limited so do not wait to register. All registrations after Jan 30 will be on a waitlist.
Date via GoToMeeting: Saturday, Feb. 6 10:00am – 3:00pm
Instructor: Janome Educators
Skill Level: Suitable for all
The class consists of 5 hours of lectures/demos about embroidery (see below). It also provides plenty time for you to create 4 separate in-the-hoop embroidery projects.
Once you have registered, you will be emailed a bundle of information, including:
- Class information (including the log on code)
- A wish list
- A supply list with instructions of what you need to gather together and prep before the class
- The 5 embroidery designs to load onto your USB stick for the class (these will be supplied in .jef format)
You may use any Janome embroidery machine PROVIDED your machine has a minimum hoop size of 5×7 inches and has a USB port for transferring designs to the machine. Janome models that will work for this class are: MC15000, MC12000; MC550E; MC500E; MC450E/400E; MC9900; Skyline S9; MC9850; MC350E. Janome machines that do not have a USB port or use the older technology such as memory cards cannot be used in this class.
The lecture/demo part of the class will cover topics such as:
- Needles to use for embroidery
- Yellow dot bobbin case and bobbin thread
- Stabilizers – what one to use when and how to hoop correctly
- How to transfer designs from your computer to your embroidery machine
- What to do with all the icons on the embroidery machine screen
- Basting in the hoop
- Customizing a design
- Adding lettering on the Edit screen
- And, a lot more!
Notes will be provided as well a link to a video recorded during the class. This will be sent to you after the class.
You will be provided with 5 embroidery designs, compliments of the Janome Canada Education team. 4 of the designs will be for projects completed during the class.
- Embroidery on a t-shirt; an in-the-hoop zipper baggie (perfect for a USB stick, lip balm or a small bottle of hand sanitizer)
- An in-the-hoop mug rug
- Learn how to do piecing in the hoop – YES, no need for paper foundation piecing or your 1/4 inch quilting foot. Instead, use our design digitized by our talented Janome Canada educator, Erin ( who teaches our virtual Artistic Digitizer classes) to piece a cute 1/4 block with precision and speed.
- Make 4 and you have a block to use for a pillow or tote or whatever you fancy.
The 5th design is a bonus design (full instructions have already been published on Janome life about how to digitize and stitch this eye mask)
More about the class can be found at https://janomelife.wordpress.com/2021/01/18/lets-explore-machine-embroidery/
Tom’s Sewing Centre
Open Monday – Friday, 9:30am – 5:30pm & Saturday, 9:30am – 5:00pm
#102 – 8338 – 120th St
New Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 9:30am – 5:00pm
#5 – 45802 Luckakuck Way
Burnaby Sewing Centre
Open Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday, 10:00am – 5:00pm
6190 Kingsway Ave